There’s no doubt that having a pool is great, however, there’s a lot that goes into taking care of a pool in order to keep it clean, healthy and for you and your family. Following are important guidelines to follow for regular pool maintenance.
Sanitising Your Pool
In order to ensure the health of your swimming pool users, it’s important to regularly sanitize your pool, including adding chlorine on a weekly basis. Chlorine kills contaminants and bacteria and can be added by using a number of methods. You can purchase granulated chlorine, mix it with water, and add it yourself. If you do decide to mix it yourself, don’t add the chlorine all at once – take your time, adding a little as you go. An easier method would be to use a chlorine feeder which is available at most pool dealerships. If you or any of your regular pool users have sensitive skin (or can’t stand the smell of chlorine), you might want to use bromine for pool sanitation.
Once the pool water is sanitized, the next step is to “shock” it around every two weeks, prior to adding chlorine again. Since chlorine isn’t as effective after dealing with pool waste and contaminants over time, a shocker is used to get rid of all of the leftover waste The cleaning process, referred to as oxidisation, gets rid of old chlorine and “swimmer” waste including cosmetics, suntan lotion, skin cells and urine.
Perform Regular Maintenance
- Every week, skim and vacuum the pool to remove debris which will also help discourage algae growth.
- Check out and change the pool’s filters on a regular basis, also checking the O rings in the pool system, looking for abrasions and cracks and ensuring that they’re greased.
- Check all electrical connections, looking for cracked or frayed wiring.
- Keep the skimmer baskets clean and free of debris, and the pool area clear of leaves and vegetation.
- Check often forgotten things like the pool handrails, ladders and diving boards, making sure there aren’t any rusted or loose bolts.
- On a monthly basis, take a sample of pool water to your neighborhood pool dealership to have it tested, ensuring that’s it’s correctly balanced. This will also help to predict any issues that might be developing in your pool.
By regularly following these preventative pool maintenance recommendations, you’ll end up with a sparkling clean pool that everyone can safely enjoy.